GLOBAL consumer brand Colgate-Palmolive is reaping the benefits of last year’s purchase of Hello Products with the launch of three oral care patents featuring cannabidiol (CBD).
Its entry into the CBD market is the latest move by a global consumer brand into cannabis following major tobacco and drinks brands; BAT and PepsiCo, respectively.
It is also looking into the potential of minor cannabinoids in the oral care space such as cannabigerol (CBG) and cannabicitran (CBT), reports Cosmetics Design publication.
In January, last year, Colgate purchased Hello Products; a natural oral care specialist. The three patents would be featured in a variety of products such as toothpaste, mouthwash, oral gels, chewing gum and mouth sprays, says the company.
New York-headquartered Colgate-Palmolive is a leading global consumer products company with more than 34,000 employees.
No Smoke Without Fire?
Tobacco giant Philip Morris International is considering a cannabis debut and if so will follow the path fellow cigarette companies BAT and Imperial.
CEO Andre Calantzopoulos said the makers of Marlboro is analyzing key components of the industry, such as the ‘toxicity of cannabis, efficacy and differences between pharmaceutical and consumer options’.
Adding: “We are doing all this work and will determine one day what avenues to pursue,” Calantzopoulos reportedly said.
“But our priority is what we’re doing with our smoke-free products, and that’s where I would stay on cannabis.”
Bringing It Home
Following the successful roll-out of its Chill CBD products in the United States, London Stock Exchange listed Zoetic International is set to launch the brand in its domestic UK market over the next few months.
NASDAQ-listed Jupiter Wellness, looks set to purchase 51% of JustCBD for $30m in cash. JustCBD will have the option to sell the remaining 49% to Jupiter for an additional $30m in shares. JustCBD is US-based with offices in both Northern Ireland and London.
Canadian cannabis processor The Valens Company is buying Green Roads in a deal potentially valued at $60 million. Based in South Florida, Green Roads is the largest privately-owned CBD company in the United States.
Medical cannabis specialist Apollon Formularies has been admitted to the AQSE Growth Market after securing regulatory approval for its acquisition by already-listed AfriAg Global.
The existing management team of AfriAg is stepping down, including David Lenigas. A new board is in the process of being appointed and will include Apollon CEO and Founder Dr Stephen Barnhill.
African EU-GMP Flower
UK CBD firm Dragonfly Biosciences has formed a non-exclusive distribution agreement with Health House International Australia to sell its CBD oils over the counter in Australia. The Australian Therapeutic Goods Administration recently changed the regulations to allow CBD products to be sold in Australian Pharmacies.
Lesotho start-up MG Health has become the first African cannabis-grower to receive certification to export cannabis flower as an active pharmaceutical ingredient under the EU’s Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) protocol.
Australian medical cannabis grower Little Green Pharma has sealed a deal to supply medical cannabis oil and flowers to Danish distributor Balancial.
The deal marks the expansion of the ASX-listed pot grower’s European distribution network to Northern Europe from its existing markets of Germany and France.
GW Pharmaceuticals has secured permission for Epidyolex – its cannabis-based treatment for seizures – to be used in Europe for the treatment of seizures associated with tuberous sclerosis complex.